Connect with us

Nakuru

Matatu operators in Nakuru threaten to resume operations in CBD

Police are keen on establishing the authenticity of the document that officials widely distributed among members and citizens last Friday.

Please Share

Published

on

Matatus at Kenyatta Lane

A showdown is looming between Matatu operators and Nakuru County Government after they threatened to resume operations in the CBD terminus.

Matatu operators through their leaders claim they have obtained a court order allowing them to resume operations within the town`s central business district pending the hearing and determination of a case between them and the County Government over relocation to an alternative terminus.

Chairman Steve Muli argues that the court order which was served to the County Attorney last week came into force immediately and a breach of the order is tantamount to contempt of court.

The court order also restrains the County Government of Nakuru from establishing a new terminus along the Nakuru Railways grounds.

Speaking at a thanksgiving service at Metro Church International in Nakuru, Muli said operators and members of the public relying on public service vehicles are going through untold suffering, 10 months after the County Government re-allocated the bus terminus, a move Governor Lee Kinyanjui said was meant to decongest the town amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Muli said the re-allocation was not matched with the basic amenities and this has consigned operators to loss of business, depression and reduced quality of life.

However, in a statement to media houses last week Governor Lee Kinyanjui said his office had not received the court and the County Government will therefore proceed with the construction of the new bus park.

He reiterated that no public service vehicle will be allowed in the Central Business District.

Nakuru Town Service Chairman Joseph Njoroge lamented the deplorable state of the current terminus saying they had put operators out of business.

He said passengers are avoiding the current terminus due to lack of water and toilets and are far-flung from the Central Business District –the epicentre of business.

Chairman to Nakuru Hawkers Association Simon Sankale accused the county Government of being insensitive to small businesses in Nakuru town depending on the matatu sub-sector.

Sankale noted that many such businesses had collapsed and some people who had loans have since been liquidated.

In another twist, the Directorate of Criminal Investigation in Nakuru has since summoned Matatu Saccos officials over claims of distributing a fake court order.

Police are keen on establishing the authenticity of the document that officials widely distributed among members and citizens last Friday.

Forceful attempts by the operators to return to their termini within the CBD in recent months have been met with stiff resistance from the police.

Story Source

Please Share

Nakuru

Research Papers – Tips for Writing Papers

Published

on

There are several unique sorts of research papers. There are the analytical study newspaper, the research paper and also the comparative study paper. Each paper is intended to be the very best. You have to be sure that you are submitting your job at a level which can provide you with the very best grades possible.

To start with (more…)

Please Share
Continue Reading

Nakuru

Learning resumes at Bahati Girls after teachers, students recover from COVID-19 infection

Mr King’ori said a medical team from the County will monitor the condition of the students and teachers at the Bahati sub-County-based school.

Please Share

Published

on

St Bakhita Bahati Girls High School

The normal learning program has resumed at St Bakhita Bahati Girls High School after students and teachers recovered from COVID-19 infection.

On May 05, the school was converted into an isolation and treatment centre after 68 students and five teachers tested positive for the virus.

Chief Officer for Public Health Services, Samuel King’ori said the teachers and students have since been released to integrate with others.

“Majority experienced a mild or asymptomatic disease which our healthcare workers easily managed within the school,” he stated.

He added that 100 others who were under quarantine within the institution have been released.

Mr King’ori said a medical team from the County will monitor the condition of the students and teachers at the Bahati sub-County-based school.

School Principal Ms Catherine Wangari said panic gripped the institution and teachers had to keep off the classes.

“We used the time for students to sit for the examinations. The teachers are back and preparing students for KCSE,” she noted.

Please Share
Continue Reading

Nakuru

Commissioner warns those contravening COVID-19 measures

He cited a few incidents where members of the public have failed to adhere to proper wearing of masks while in public.

Please Share

Published

on

Nakuru county commissioner Erastus Mbui.PHOTO/Pristone Mambili.

Nakuru county Commissioner Erastus Mbui has vowed not to tolerate any criminal.

Speaking in Nakuru town during the launch of African Peer Review Mechanism Report dissemination process, Mbui assured public of security’s commitment.

While addressing on the COVID-19 pandemic containment measures,the county Commissioner reiterated the need for citizens to adhere to the same.

He cited a few incidents where members of the public have failed to adhere to proper wearing of masks while in public.

The Commissioner adding that the police will not relent in arresting such individuals to face fines in court.

“We all have responsibility in the fight against COVID-19.Wear mask.Those arrested must face the law.I will not defend criminals.If you will be found not wearing mask you will face the law” said Mbui.

He noted that the fight on  COVID-19 pandemic is a collective responsibility.

His sentiments come a time when the Kenya Clinical officers Association have issued a strike notice in what they term is government’s failure to address their safety.

It should be noted that several health workers have lost their lives to COVID-19 pandemic.

Please Share
Continue Reading

Trending