Connect with us

Nakuru

Natembeya sounds stern warning to men preying on school girls

Addressing the media in Nakuru on Wednesday after visiting several schools to assess the Ministry of Health COVID-19 protocols’ compliance, he said the government will not tolerate such.

Please Share

Published

on

Rift valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya and education officers addressing Form 4 East Candidates at Langalanga Secondary school.PHOTO/Pristone Mambili.

Rift valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya has sounded a stern warning to individuals preying on school girls.

According to the RC, over 5,000 schoolgirls had been impregnated in the region as of December 2020.

Addressing the media in Nakuru on Wednesday after visiting several schools to assess the Ministry of Health COVID-19 protocols’ compliance, he said the government will not tolerate such.

“The government is committed to ensuring all children are back in school and that is why I am ordering the school heads to submit accounts of all their students. Those who are messing up school children let them be warned that the law will face up with them.

The RC added that early pregnancies cannot be a hindrance for a child to access education in any part of the country.

It is for this reason that he tasked school heads and local administrators to work closely in ensuring all children are back in schools.

While expressing satisfaction with the reporting back rate of students and pupils for the second term since COVID-19 shut down in March last year, the RC assured parents of their children’s safety.

He was however quick to note that the issue of social distancing in schools is still a challenge that might take longer to be achieved even as the government tries to put mechanisms in place.

The administrator who was accompanied by education officers from the region also called on MPs to join hands with the national government to help address some of the challenges in schools.

“We are happy that most of the schools we visited have complied with the COVID-19 MOH protocols among them hand washing and ensuring that the children are masked. However, the issue of social distancing requires concerted efforts and that is why we call on MPs through NG-CDF to also step in and help build extra classrooms” he said.

Natembeya who together with the education officers visited several schools among them Bahati Girls’, Jomo Kenyatta, Kiamaina primary and Langalanga Secondary in Nakuru, said they will continue to work with school heads to ensure continued compliance with the MOH COVID-19 protocols.

Please Share

Nakuru

DP Ruto, Senator Kihika risk disciplinary action for endorsing UDA candidates for London, Hells Gate

In a letter dated January 20 2021, Cheruiyot has cited a meeting held in Ngata, Nakuru on January 17 where DP Ruto in company of Nakuru Senator Susan Kihika endorsed two persons who are in the UDA political party to vie for MCA for London and Hells Gate Wards by-elections slated for March.Cheruiyot goes further to argue that the move is contrary to the Jubilee Party Constitution and that it undermines the Party’s position and its identified nominees for the upcoming March 4th  By-elections.

Please Share

Published

on

Jubilee Party Nakuru Branch Secretary Peter Cheruiyot Mtumishi addressing media at the Nakuru Party office on January 21, 2021.PHOTO/Pristone Mambili.

The Jubilee Party Nakuru Branch Secretary General Peter Cheruiyot Mtumishi is demanding a disciplinary action be taken against Deputy President William Ruto and Nakuru Senator Susan Kihika for contravening the Jubilee Party constitution.

In a letter dated January 20 2021, Cheruiyot has cited a meeting held in Ngata, Nakuru on January 17 where DP Ruto in company of Nakuru Senator Susan Kihika endorsed two persons who are in the UDA political party to vie for MCA for London and Hells Gate Wards by-elections slated for March.

Cheruiyot goes further to argue that the move is contrary to the Jubilee Party Constitution and that it undermines the Party’s position and its identified nominees for the upcoming March 4th  By-elections.

He says, every member of Jubilee Party should support the Party’s candidates who emerged winners in the party primaries for the London and Hells Gate Wards.

It should be noted that Jubilee’s Candidates for London Ward in the forthcoming by-elections is Francis Njoroge while for Hells Gate is Virginia Gichanga.

The letter as seen by this writer, has been copied to Party Leader President Uhuru Kenyatta,Nelson Dzuya(Chairman),David Murathe(Vice-Chairman),Raphael Tuju (Secretary General),James Waweru(Executive Director) and David Manyara(Nakuru Branch Chairman).

Cheruiyot maintains that on the said date, the DP who is also Jubilee Party Deputy Party leader contravened Article 13 of the Party’s Constitution by displaying disloyalty and associating with UDA candidates hence pledging allegiance to another party.

The DP has been given 7 days to defend his position on the raised concerns failure to which the Jubilee Party Nakuru Branch will recommend disciplinary action against him.

“This is to therefore, require you to show cause within 7 days of this letter as to why the Nakuru Branch office should not recommend disciplinary action against you to the Jubilee Party Disciplinary Committee” stated Cheruiyot.

A similar letter has also been written to Nakuru Senator Susan Kihika who is said to have been the host of the Ngata meeting where UDA candidates for London and Hells Gate wards by-elections were endorsed.

 

Please Share
Continue Reading

Nakuru

Nakuru members of border communities’ origin decry discrimination in passport issuance

Abdulaye was quick to note that as Nakuru residents of Somali origin or members of the border communities’ origin, they are not against the government’s position on vetting before passport is given but at the same time it should not be used to discriminate against them.

Please Share

Published

on

Passport sample.PHOTO/Courtesy.

Nakuru residents of border communities’ origin have raised complaints against the Immigration office in Nakuru and the government at large over what they term as discrimination in the issuance of passports.

Speaking to this writer in Nakuru town on Wednesday, the residents led by Abdulaye Adan wondered why any application from their side does not get a booking date.

He argued that the Immigration office in Nakuru should not discriminate against residents in terms of service delivery.

Adan revealed that he has received several complaints from Nakuru residents of Somali origin who visited the office seeking for a passport service but their application did not materialize with no clear information why the delay.

This, he says, will inconvenience Muslims who are in preparation for the forthcoming Hajj and Umrah prayers.

He has called on the National government through the Cabinet Secretary for Interior AND National coordination Dr.Fred Matiang’i to move with speed and save the situation.

“We have received several complaints from residents of Somali origin or those Muslims from border counties that when they apply for passports they are discriminated against, some even not receiving booking dates. We therefore call on CS Matiang’i to come to our aid especially during this time that we are headed for special prayers” said Abdulaye.

According to Abdulaye, the constitution is very clear on matters service delivery and there should be no any form of discrimination.

He was quick to note that as Nakuru residents of Somali origin or members of the border communities’ origin, they are not against the government’s position on vetting before passport is given but at the same time it should not be used to discriminate against them.

He called on the vetting committee to ensure the members of border communities’ origin are vetted and served with passports without discrimination.

“We are all Kenyans and registration of passports in Nakuru should not be discriminative” he said.

But according to information from the Immigration office, it is government’s’ requirement for vetting before passport is issued.

 

Please Share
Continue Reading

Nakuru

1000 households to benefit from power connectivity following lobby by MCA Mbae

While noting that Subukia Constituency has not been in the front-line on matters of power connectivity, Dr.Mbae called on the area MP to also pick it up and ensure all households are connected.

Please Share

Published

on

Power connectivity at Kiangare settlement scheme in Kabazi Ward,Subukia subc county of Nakuru.PHOTO/Pristone Mambili.

1000 households in the 8 settlement schemes in Kabazi Ward,Nakuru County will soon benefit from the electricity connectivity project initiated by area MCA Dr.Peter Mbae.

The project is targeting Kiremba,Kiangari ,Solai Nyakinyua,Marigu,Mahinga,Matuto, Milimani Kihoto, Mutukanio A schemes.

Locals led by Joseph Kagia are now a happy lot lauding area MCA Dr.Peter Mbae for initiating the project 5 years ago.

“We used to just hear that there is something called electricity but now we are seeing it and we want to thank our MCA for lobbying the same” said Kagia.

Lucy Macharia from Solai-Kiremba says they have been relying on kerosene which is expensive.

She is however quick to note that by March this year, they will be able to have power in their homes and life will have transformed.

“We have been using kerosene in our homes but we are happy to our MCA for reaching out to the President and we know by March we shall have power” said Ms Macharia.

Kabazi MCA Dr.Peter Mbae inspects the poles that will be used for the exercise of power connectivity.PHOTO/Pristone Mambili.

According to MCA Mbae, the journey started way back in 2016 when he was a member of the Nakuru County Public Service Board.

He says he knocked at every door to ensure the people in the 8 settlement schemes are connected to electricity.

And now the engagement is finally materializing with the installation of transformers expected anytime.

Dr.Mbae says the project that costs over 60 million shillings will open up the area to more opportunities.

While noting that Subukia Constituency has not been in the front-line on matters of power connectivity, Dr.Mbae called on the area MP to also pick it up and ensure all households are connected.

“The project will improve the livelihoods of the people in the 8 settlement schemes. Subukia has been left behind in matters of connectivity for so long and that is why we now appeal even to the MP to step up” said Dr.Mbae.

Please Share
Continue Reading

Trending